11/24/09

Stares

I guess you can say ive been guilty of this too - stareing at a person or child that we see as not normal - blind, deaf , handicapped in some way. Now that i have a child like that it hurts me to see people stare.
Yesterday i was at my regular ob appointment and in walked a mother and her daughter whom was blind ( maybe 14-16 years old ) her mom holding her hand the whole time and telling her where to go, she had the traditional black sunglasses on. The stares people give her - and when the receptionist asked " Her name " to the mother im thinking why didnt she ask the daughter just because she is blind doesnt mean she cant answer a question.
Anyways as i sat there listening to this mom fill out the paper work for her daughter, her daughter was concerned about her mom going back with her to see the doctor - she wanted to ask the doctor something but didnt want her mom to get mad, all i could think about was it was probably birth control or something, she kept telling her mom " i want to ask the doctor something but i dont want you to get mad at me mom - do you promise you wont get mad? My heart melted - wow , this is what my mom probably went thru and what I will go thru too when my daughters get to that age.
The stares really bother me, and like i said before Ive been guilty of this too but i dont want this for my child.

2 comments:

  1. "November 2009

    Special Edition




    In This Issue
    · Stem Cell Confusion

    · Hear Ye, Hear Ye

    · When Placebos Go Wild

    · Chloe (Sohl’s) Story

    · Chloe (Levine’s) Story

    · Parent’s Love Battles Ignorance

    · Niko’s Autism

    · Advocate of the Month"
    source: http://www.repairstemcells.org/Newsletters/NL111909.htm#_HEAR_YE,_HEAR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand how hard it can be...my son was born with detached retina's and although has regained some sight is now having some problems with one of his pupils...scared about that...anyway I saw that you take her to detroit and was wondering if you take her to Dr. Trese? That is my son's doctor and who did his eye surguries...best wishes.

    Shannah

    ReplyDelete